Pastor Mark Hemans
I was saved at 10 years of age by saying a simple prayer of salvation with my mother. The next morning I looked out my bedroom window. I saw the morning stars and suddenly knew that this incredible Creator God was my personal loving heavenly Father, and I was his son.
As a teenager I was delivered of a generational curse, baptised in the Holy Spirit, and healed of partial deafness. At this time I also received a divine call to pastor. I grew up in the charismatic movement, and was greatly influenced by the faith & healing teaching of Jim Glennon (Healing Service, St. Andrew’s Cathedral, Sydney).
I received Biblical training at Wheaton College USA (B.A. in Biblical Studies), Ridley College, Melbourne (B.Th & Dip. Min.) and training in cross-cultural ministry Church Missionary Society, Melbourne.
I served as a pastor in a charismatic anglican church in Melbourne (1989-92), then worked with FGBMFI in Paraguay, South America (1993-98), and pastored River of Life Church, Prestons (1999-2011). In 2004 the Lord called me in a dream to Indonesia, and Encounter Ministries was born.
I have been welcomed to minister across denominational lines including pentecostal, charismatic, and conservative churches. I have been set aside as a pastor with International Network of Churches. My home church is the INC church in Orange, NSW, Aust.
My preaching focuses on the present reality of Jesus Christ, the authority and power of the Word of God and His Kingdom. I have a strong desire to help the church to apply in a practical way the principles of God’s Word in their personal lives and ministries. Many also respond to the Gospel.
I have a strong belief in submission to local church authority and unity. I find that this provides a wonderful context through which the Holy Spirit moves powerfully.
While a teenager the Lord spoke to me to write books that would be simple and easy to understand. I have since written: Getting Started, I Choose to Believe, I am the Lord Your Healer, Your Kingdom Come, The Principles of Heaven, The Presence of God, The Foundation, and Speak of What I’ve Done. My fervent desire is that God be glorified, that souls be won to the Kingdom, and people experience the Glory of Jesus Christ. I love to expound the Scriptures in a way that people experience the aweseome reality of God’s Word.
How Encounter Ministries started…
In May 2004 I had a dream in which I heard the voice of the Lord saying: “Go to Borneo to pray.” I asked: “Lord where is Borneo?” The Lord replied: “Indonesia”. I asked: “Lord what shall I pray?” He said: “Pray the prayer faith for revival.” I woke and asked the Lord to provide the return ticket in confirmation, which He did.
Since that dream the Lord has opened the door for me to do hundreds of meetings in Australia, Sth Est Asia, Pacific Islands, U.K., Middle East, and N.Z. As a result of the move of the Holy Spirit I have been privileged to see many come to Christ, people filled with the Holy Spirit, mighty miracles, and churches built up. To God be all the glory.
My passion is for people to have a profound encounter with Jesus Christ and His kingdom. I believe for a powerful outpouring of the Father’s love with signs and wonders, salvations and revival. Incredible things are currently happening as God pours out His Spirit in a fresh way.
Encounter Ministries has an eldership, and board of directors. I also have an accountability mentor.
- The divine inspiration, inerrancy and authority of the Bible for teaching and daily living.
- The Trinity: that God is One in Three Persons of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- Salvation is in Jesus Christ alone. He is the only Way to heaven.
- Salvation is by grace (God’s unmerited favor), and not by religion or good works. Good works are the fruit of true faith in Jesus.
- The imminent Second Coming of Christ for which every believer should be ready.
- The Baptism of the Holy Spirit as a distinct promise and evidenced by the gift of tongues. That we are to seek to be daily filled with the Holy Spirit.
- The gifts of the Holy Spirit are for today and empower the church for mutual edification, and demonstrate the power of the Gospel to save.
- The equipping of Christians to serve.
- We are to love one another, forgive, and grow in the fruit of the Spirit.
- The importance of good works, and helping those in need.
- Praying in faith and compassion for the sick.
- Praise and worship are the highest calling of the Christian.
- Discipleship is the call of every Christian to be Christ-like in their thoughts, attitudes and actions. There is to be a connection between belief and behaviour.
- The very present reality of Jesus Christ and His Kingdom when we gather in His Name.
- The Father’s love and acceptance of the repentant.
EXAMPLES OF MARK’S PREACHING/TEACHING
Seminar: the Word working in power, by the Holy Spirit, through faith, and in godly character.
Seminar: Spiritual sight and ministering to the sick.
Teaching: Your Destiny in Christ